Black Sesame-Stuffed Matcha Sugar Cookies
These ultra soft sugar cookies has been adapted from Lindsay and Taylor of Love and Olive Oil . They are filled with an unexpected surprise inside: a pocket of sweetened black sesame paste for a savory richness that we love.
Prep time: 30 minutes
Prep time: 30 minutes
Cook time: 12 minutes
Total time: 6 hours
Yield: 24 cookies
For Black Sesame Filling:
- 1/4 cup (80g) roasted black sesame paste
- 2oz (56g) good quality white chocolate, chopped
For Matcha Cookies:
- 2 1/2 cups (310g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (12g) MU matcha green tea powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup (56g) cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (300g) granulated sugar, plus more for coating
- 6 tablespoons (85g) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup (70g) light olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine white chocolate and black sesame paste in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second bursts on 50% power, stirring between each interval, until white chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth. Let cool for about 30 minutes or chill for 50 to 20 minutes until just thick enough to scoop (it should ideally hold a nice soft mound shape; if it’s firmer than that you can use the heat of your hands to roll scoops into balls).
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drop sesame mixture by the 1/2 teaspoonful onto parchment paper. Freeze at least 5 hours or overnight until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, MU matcha, baking powder, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a another bowl, combine softened cream cheese, sugar, and melted butter. Stir with a spatula until it forms a smooth paste.
- Add egg, oil, and vanilla and stir until smooth and completely incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and fold until just incorporated and no streaks of flour remain. The dough will be soft and slightly oily feeling (it shouldn’t stick to your hands).
- Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop dough into 1 1/4-inch balls (approximately 34g of dough each). Split dough in half, press each piece into a flat round.
- Place one frozen black sesame piece in the center of one piece of dough; top with the second piece and press edges together to seal. Roll and squeeze into a puck shape. Coat in granulated sugar and place on prepared cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, leaving about 2 inches of space between cookies on the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until tops are cracked and no longer shiny and bottoms are just barely starting to brown. Let cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies are best enjoyed within a day or two, but will keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
To read the full recipe, visit: https://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2020/02/black-sesame-stuffed-matcha-sugar-cookies.html